It’s been 10 days now since the amazing day that saw 700 people pack into the Aurora center to be inspired around the rebuilding of Christchurch. As one of the organisers it was a relief to see the event run smoothly and generate the kind of excitement and energy we had alway hoped for. This couldn’t have happened without a huge amount of support from a huge army of volunteers and of course a bunch of committed organisers. The photo stream is now up and shortly the videos will be going up. I can’t wait to see them and write about them individually though some have already here, here and here. For me, some strong themes emerged from the day which I think are worth mentioning.
- Cities are about people. That should be our first and foremost consideration.
- Community participation and engagement are key. Listen to the people and you will find out what they want.
- Sustainability. We need a city that is built to last. That means thinking ahead to what the future will bring.
- Innovation. This is a time to embed innovation into the new city. With so much creation ahead, it’s time to really bring this to the fore.
- Branding. It’s time to look beyond the Garden City. Let’s be known for something different, something new. Anything.
I’m going to start with Christchurch: the City of Innovation. That’s what we do. We are a city of ideas, inspiration and invention. We attract the best and smartest to live in our amazing city. We are a talent utopia.
What’s your branding for the new Christchurch?